Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Women in the Workforce

Working as a photojournalist in the city, I have the opportunity to visit and observe numerous businesses, organizations, and political offices. Although I know that there are women who hold high positions, I have not observed this. The women I have seen hold either secretarial or janitorial/housekeeping positions.

Today I went to the Casa Presidencial to photograph a press conference held by President Oscar Arias. A new telecom agreement was being signed, so a panel of several governmental figures--including Arias--was present. I was slightly surprised to note that there was not a single female among the group.

When I was working as a journalist in Washington D.C. last fall, I attended similar types of press conferences, and although men were normally the majority, there were almost always females as well.

I was discussing this with with Ana, the Costa Rican woman I live with, and she said that women are definitely an important part of the workforce--more than they ever have been before, although this is a relatively new development. One of the key things that she identified in enabling women to hold important positions is their ability to get a masters' degree.

Despite this, I think that the belief that women belong in the home is still somewhat common, especially in some areas. As Costa Rican feminist Eugenia Lopez-Casas writes, "To be a woman means housework... it is a woman's destiny." (The Costa Rican Women's Movement, Chapter 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment