Monday, May 18, 2009

Updates...

The past two weeks have been a whirlwind of learning and busyness and vog and photography and Jesus' life-changing presence... and I have been lax in updating. I cannot believe that the half-way point of the DTS lecture phase has come and gone--the days are flying by. Only a short time ago I had no intentions of moving to Hawaii for three months to be trained with YWAM, but I thank God every day for the events that changed the direction of my life path and brought me here. Sometimes it is in the most unexpected happenings of life that we look back and see the fingerprints of God most clearly. One of the characteristics of God that I have been contemplating lately is His jealousy. I don't think it is a characteristic of God that is examined or discussed very often, but I am so grateful for the evidence of it in my life. 

Over the weekend, our PhotogenX community traveled north a couple of hours to Maka Pala for two days of teaching, relationship building, fun, and (my favorite part) a reprieve from the food on base. 



Gekkos are one of my favorite parts of Hawaii. And there were lots in Maka Pala!


PhotogenX 2009 DTS Community


Beginning this week, our lectures will focus on preparation for our upcoming outreach and future mission work. Whereas the first six weeks were focused "internally" on building our personal relationships with Christ and gaining freedom in our lives, the final six weeks will focus on ministering "externally" to others. 

Our departure date has been finalized for June 25, and we will arrive in Cape Town on June 27. Our first thirty days of outreach will involve an overland trip around the country, ministering in different villages as well as working with hospitals, youth programs, building projects, church planting, etc. My outreach fees are due on May 28--it has been so encouraging to see the Lord's provision thus far. I am still trusting the Lord to provide $3400 by May 28, and would appreciate your prayers as I prepare to have several fundraisers on base later this week. God's faithfulness has brought me this far, and I am confident that He will see me the rest of the way through. 

One of my favorite parts of the DTS lecture phase has been our book assignments. These have been an awesome supplement to our lectures and given me a lot to think about as I am seeking to know Jesus for who He really is. I thought I would post our book list, for those of you who are interested...

-Is That Really You, God? (by Loren Cunningham)

-Making Jesus Lord (by Loren Cunningham)

-Irresistible Revolution (by Shane Claiborne)

-Living Together (by Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

-Sex God (by Rob Bell)

No comments:

Post a Comment